Thursday, June 16, 2011

League Cup Draw

One step closer to the football season starting is the arrival of the draw of the first round of the League Cup. It is normally seem as a secondary competition but when you see the draw I definately don't share that view.

Swindon travel to Ashton Gate to face West Country rivals Bristol City. A draw myself and other Town fans are delighted with having not played our rivals since 2006. Bristol City away was my first choice having never been to the red side of Bristol before.

I do have some great memories of watching Bristol City at the County Ground from when we used to play them on a regular basis. My first memory of this fixture was Swindon beating City 3-2 in 1998. Swindon were 3-0 up within 10 minutes and it looks as if it would be game, set and match. I realise now, I was too young to understand how Town never do anything the easy way. Bristol City clawed two goals back in the second half and despite ending with nine men, Swindon managed to hang on the victory.

This is the match I remember going to watch and thinking this is brilliant. The game had everything with goals, passion and potential late drama you expect from a rival clash.  From that moment on, I was hooked and obsessed with Swindon Town and over a decade later that love hasn't dampened.

Celebrating his superb goal
My other favourite memory of the West Country derby has to be Rory Fallon's brilliant over-head kick back in 2004. Everything about that goal was perfect, it was the best goal I had seen from a Swindon player but better still it was in the last minute to snatch a point. I remember watching others round me leave, but I never do and my dad always told me I couldn't. I can remember watching Town lose 6-0 to Ipswich and not leaving until the final whistle.

The first round tie is being played the week commencing the 8th August and I personally cannot wait. I am really hoping to cause a shock and get revenge for as our last game in 2006 sealed our relegation into League Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment