Friday, June 10, 2011

A Blast From The Past: Simon Cox

With the much anticipated fixture list a week away from being announced and with no news of any signings just yet; news has very much dried up at the County Ground since the dust settled on the appointment of Paolo Di Canio.

The lack of activity at SN1 has forced me to look further afield which brings me to ex-Town favourite Simon Cox. The West Brom striker has made an inspired start to his international career scoring two goals in for appreances including once against Italy.

I am personally delighted for Cox and wish him every sucess with West Brom and at international level. In my short years of watching Swindon, he is the most talented player I have seen to grace the County Ground in the red and white jersey.

In the 2008-09 season, he almost single handily kept Swindon in League One scoring 29 of Swindon's 68 goals that year. That impressive figure made him joint top goalscorer in all four divisions alongside then Bristol Rovers man Rickie Lambert.

At club level, he has seen his opportunites somewhat limited although he recently scored his first Premiership goal against Tottenham to equalise late on. He is a player, with no lack of desire who will grab an opportunity with both hands.

I will leave you with my favourite Town memory of Simon Cox, scoring an absoulute peach against Walsall in 2009. The best goal I have ever seen. Bar none.

No comments:

Post a Comment