Monday, June 13, 2011

Double Arrival at the County Ground

This is an article I have been wanting to write since the arrival of Paolo Di Canio. We have seen a few departures but now we finally have some arrivals. Town have sealed the signings of Jonathan Smith and Joe Devera from York City and Barnet respectively.

I am not going to give my own personal opinions of either as I haven't watched either play. However, when they are in the red of Swindon they both have my full backing and support. A big name doesn't mean a better player. Just compare the careers of David Prutton and Charlie Austin before they arrived at SN1; a former Premiership player and a former bricklayer.

Jonathan Smith has been described as a combative midfielder who likes a tackle. This is probably reflected in his disciplinary record last season, collecting twelve yellow cards and receiving marching orders twice. Swindon paid £30,000 for the former Forest Green man, a figure thought to be too low by York City supporters. Smith also scored five goals last season, which is something Town midfielders lacked last season with the exception of Matt Ritchie.

The other capture, Joe Devera was player of the season at Underhill last season for his performances at right-back. The general census is disappointment at Devera leaving for pastures new. There was always rumours of Championship side Millwall wanting Devera which certainly shows he has credentials. Devera is a versatile player who has also played in central defence. I am hoping the latter is his preferred position as it is the position that needs filling more than right-back.

I am sure more signings will be completed this week and I for one will welcome them with open arms. Although I am also expecting some departures in the coming days. A striker is at the top of my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment